Bathroom renovations can be fun, exciting and even sometimes stressful. Over the years, we have seen bathrooms morph from only functional spaces to highly stylized rooms of function that speak not only of personal style but also in customized luxury. It may be a "spa-like" retreat or a simple, classic look, a bold, colourful tile, or the elegance of book-matched marble on your shower walls. Whatever you desire today's bathrooms are delivering large on glam, luxury and functionality. No matter what your design tastes are, your bathroom is the first room you see in the morning and the last you see at night, and it should reflect a bright start or a relaxing end to your day!
Design trends may come and go, but one thing that does remain consistent when planning a renovation is maximizing lighting: a definite must for a bathroom. When I'm designing a bathroom, I look to add layers of lighting options, and one of these layers of light should be natural lighting - the perfect way to start your day. Adding natural light to a bathroom offers many great benefits, starting with our own physical and mental health and well-being to the health of your home. Windows paired with skylights will maximize the amount of natural light in your bathroom and can become the primary source of natural lighting.
Installing a skylight in your bath will undoubtedly improve the look and feel of your bathroom design, brightening the room and making it feel like a much larger space. The bathroom is also a perfect place to add a skylight or sun tunnels as you will gain the additional natural light without compromising your privacy.
If you're wondering how skylights can improve your home's health, this is where the venting skylight comes into play! VELUX's programmable skylights will open and help prevent trapped moisture from producing mould or mildew by letting out the humid air and bringing in the fresh air – which is perfect for your bathroom. These are skylights that open to provide fresh air in your room. As hot air rises, this seems a natural addition to the bathroom to assist in the circulation of air and help to prevent trapped moisture from producing mould or mildew.
In the end, be inspired by all that you see in colour, finishes and design, but also be realistic about your space and budget. Good bathroom design should bring together all that is best of what you envision. It should deliver the maximum of light, storage, usage and aesthetics for you while creating a wonderfully luxurious and inviting room that reflects your individuality. Your bathroom should offer you optimal convenience and relaxation for years to come - adding a key element like a skylight to the mix will make it seem like the "icing on the cake."
If you're planning to give your bathroom a whole new look by adding a skylight or sun tunnel, here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Set a realistic budget. Once you start looking at all the finishes and fixture options available, you may be surprised at the costs involved.
- Depending on your bathroom size, a series of skylights or sun tunnels can be a complimentary design feature.
- Be sure that when you're positioning your skylight or sun tunnels, you are also considering the placement of other lighting in the room. Whether its pot lights or surface mounted lights - you want to make sure that your ceiling does not appear chaotic or messy in design.
- Remember a vented skylight is an excellent option for increased ventilation in the bathroom
- Good quality porcelain tile is durable and doesn't fade from increased amounts of sunlight. If you are south facing, you may be concerned about too much natural light or heat in the summer, consider adding a built-in blind, a perfect option to diffuse the light.
Natural Light for Bathrooms, Skylight Installations
Featured Products: VELUX Solar Venting Skylight, VELUX Blinds, VELUX Sun Tunnels Architecture, design and renovation